Margaret Fowler Covington Scholarship Award
About Ms. Margaret Fowler Covington:
The Margaret Fowler Covington Award has been established by C. Kenneth and Debbie Covington in honor of her love and devotion as a mother to C. Kenneth and Michael Covington. As a single mother, Margaret Fowler Covington raised two boys while working as an educator in the Bossier Parish School system where she taught for many years. During her career, Margaret helped to work on the Apollo elementary program and served in the central office as a Curriculum Co-coordinator before retirement. Through her example, Ms. Covington instilled in her sons that nothing is too hard if you persevere. Now, C. Kenneth and Debbie Covington honor their mother with a scholarship of inspiration to support other single parents “who might find themselves in need a little help along the way”.
The BPCC Foundation Scholarship Committee will award (1) one scholarship award each semester in the amount of $1,000 to a full-time academic student.
All applicants must possess a minimum 2.000 GPA on high school or college work.
- Student is or will be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours (full-time) at BPCC during time for which he/she is requesting assistance.
- Student provides proof of single parenthood providing custodial/parental care of minor child(dren)
- Student demonstrates a special or unusual financial need as determined by the committee.
- Student possesses talents that are desirable and which will lend credibility to the college.
- Student has other special existing circumstances which warrant the issuing of a scholarship.
Student must not be receiving any other type of financial assistance.
Procedures for Applying for the Margaret Fowler Covington Scholarship:
Applicant must submit an application,essay letter stating need, transcript and valid I.D. (no photos please) to the BPCC Foundation Office by deadline (see below).
- Must provide proof of single parenthood providing custodial/parental care of minor child(dren)
- Applicants seeking assistance must be on file at the BPCC Financial Aid office.
NOTE: Applications missing any of the above information are considered incomplete and will not be processed.
Foundation Office will mail award and denial letters to applicants.
Application for scholarship does not guarantee an award. Students must maintain contact with Financial Aid office to plan for and fulfill financial obligations during selection process.
Fall Applications: July 15th OR Spring Applications: December 15th