Responsibilities of Students
All BPCC students are expected to become acquainted with College policies, requirements, procedures, and regulations regarding all phases of College operations. In addition, students are to remain cognizant of these policies and procedures during their attendance at BPCC.
Academic advisors, counselors, deans, instructors, administrators, and other College officials assist students in becoming acquainted with College regulations; however, students must assume final responsibility for being acquainted with College procedures. In no case will a regulation be waived or an exception be granted because a student pleads ignorance of the regulation.
- Close adherence to curricula assures the student's completion of all general education requirements and all major requirements.
- The student should be familiar with all the requirements of the degree program and should consult with an academic advisor when necessary.
- Each student assumes the responsibility for scheduling courses that are applicable to degrees and for taking courses in proper sequence to ensure the orderly progression of work.
Students attending evening and/or online classes are expected to assume the same academic responsibilities as all other students. Evening and online students are given the same curricular guidance and counseling as day students. Evening and online students follow the same procedures for admission to the College as other students, including the submission of applications, and transcripts. Evening and online students pursuing associate degrees assume the responsibility of scheduling classes to fulfill degree requirements. BPCC does not guarantee that all classes required in an associate degree or academic certificate can be obtained during the evening or online schedule of classes.
Class Attendance Policy
Class attendance is regarded as an obligation as well as a privilege, and students are expected to attend all classes regularly and punctually. Failure to do so may jeopardize a student’s scholastic standing.
Attendance will be checked every class meeting. A written explanation of expectations regarding class attendance will be included in the instructor’s Syllabus. Ultimately, each faculty member’s individual Syllabus will serve as the governing attendance policy for a particular class and may differ from others based on academic discipline, teaching philosophy, or instructional necessities. Students should refer to each of their instructors’ Syllabi for guidance and seek immediate clarification from their instructors if needed.
- Any student who ceases to attend a class may be subject to a College-Initiated Withdrawal. A student who wishes to withdraw from a course or resign from the College must do so officially by completing the required admissions forms.
- When a student has missed 15% of a course, the instructor may remove the student by assigning a College-Initiated Withdrawal. As a result of this action, the student will receive a grade of “WN” for the course if action is initiated prior to the last day to drop. NOTICE: More restrictive attendance requirements may apply in some specialized classes such as laboratory, activity, and clinical courses because of the nature of those courses. Neither the instructor nor the College assumes responsibility for students who are absent from these classes.
- Students who will be absent due to participation in school-sanctioned activities, mandatory military exercises, or mandated appearance in a court of law (jury duty or subpoena obligations) must submit official documentation to the instructor prior to the event to be eligible for assistance in meeting missed course requirements. Absences of this nature will not count toward the 15% limit for purposes of this policy.
Students who are receiving any type of financial aid, scholarships or tuition assistance should consult the rules governing that aid before withdrawing from a course or resigning from the College.
Note: Financial Aid Students: Please refer to the Financial Aid Policy regarding attendance and withdrawal.
For further information you may contact us at email@example.com.