What is Mediasite?
So how do I get started in Mediasite?
Getting started is simple. All you need to do is enable the My Mediasite link in any of your Canvas courses. To learn how take a look at the Accessing My Mediasite walkthrough.
Accessing My Mediasite and Desktop Recorder
In order to access Mediasite, faculty need to enable the tool in one of their Canvas courses. To do so:
- Open a course.
- Click Settings.
- Click the Navigation tab.
- Locate My Mediasite.
- To enable the tool, click the gear button and choose Enable.
- Scroll down the page and click Save.
RECOMMENDATION: If you plan to use Mediasite in each of your classes it is recommended to enable the My Mediasite tool in each of your classes. This is a setting that will copy from semester-to-semester when you copy your course so you will only need to enable it once in each class.
Now that the tool is enabled, click the My Mediasite link in your course navigation menu. This will take you to the My Mediasite dashboard. (Note: If this is your first time accessing My Mediasite you will need to setup your account using your BPCC-issued email address and click the validation link in the account confirmation email from Mediasite before you can proceed.)
Welcome to My Mediasite
To download and install the Desktop Recorder:
- Click the Download the Desktop Recorder button at the bottom of the left-side navigation column.
- Follow the on-screen directions for downloading and installing the Desktop Recorder. (Note: If you are using an on-campus computer or BPCC laptop, you will need Computer Service to assist with the installation process. You can request assistance at the Service Desk.)
- Once you have successfully downloaded and installed the Desktop Recorder return to the download/installation instruction screen.
- Click the Register Mediasite Desktop Recorder button. (Note: You may have to allow your browser to launch the application.)
- Confirm your LoLA username appears in the top-left corner of the Desktop Recorder interface.
Lights, Camera, Action
To start capturing:
- Start Mediasite Desktop Recorder.
- Click the Record option.
- Provide a Presentation Name.
- Choose a capture format from the 4 options:
- Screencast + Video (Computer screen and webcam)
- Screencast + Audio (Computer screen and audio device)
- Slideshow + Video (Still image of computer screen and webcam)
- Slideshow + Audio (Still image of computer screen and audio device)
- Click Next.
- Choose the desired devices from the Camera Input and Microphone Input dropdown menus. (Camera Size should not exceed the Medium size to maximize computer resources.)
- Click Next.
- Identify the Desktop, Window, or Region you would like to capture using the appropriate dropdown menu.
- Click the Green Check Mark button to confirm your selection.
- Click Record to start the 5-second countdown and begin recording.
- To stop recording use the Ctrl+F8 keyboard shortcut.
- Choose to Discard, Resume, or Finish recording.
- Discard will delete the recording.
- Resume will pick up where you stopped.
- Finish will publish the presentation to the server.
If you click Finish the Presentation Management screen will appear and show you the upload progress. Once the presentation is uploaded you can return to the My Mediasite dashboard in your Canvas course to manage your presentations.
Presentation Settings in Mediasite
To access the presentation settings:
- Click the My Mediasite link in your course on the Course Navigation menu in Canvas.
- Click the title of the video you wish to adjust the settings.
The Summary tab opens. This tab shows a snapshot of the presentations current settings; as well as, some helpful links. Beneath the embedded preview pane, you will find 3 tabs:
- Displays the Tags, Description, Duration, and Presenter Name(s) of the presentation.
- Displays the delivery methods chosen for the presentation.
- Displays any scheduled options setup for the presentation.
The Share tab provides access to a direct link to the video, an HTML Embed code, and an Email sharing option. All three of these methods will require a LoLA login credential to be viewed. You will rarely use this tab to share your videos, the preferred method is covered in another tutorial on Embedding a Mediasite Presentation on a Page in Canvas.
The Edit tab allows you to adjust many of the settings and delivery methods for each presentation. There are 3 options of interest in the top-right corner:
- Private – Presentation is only accessible to you.
- Viewable – Presentation is accessible to any user with view or read security privileges.
- Can be adjusted as needed but defaults to date the presentation was created.
- Defaults to presentation’s run-time.
The lower half of the Edit tab has 4 areas that hold presentation details and delivery information:
- The Information tab
- Title – Can be edited as needed. All presentations should have a title. Please do not leave a presentation with the “Unnamed Presentation” title.
- Description – Provide a description of the presentation content if desired.
- At the base you will see a field for search tags. Adding tags will optimize search results on catalogs for your presentations. To add a tag press the Enter key after typing the tag name.
- Presenters – Add or remove presenters as needed. If you are not in the list of Presenters click the Add New button to enter your information.
- Links – Add any links to resources the viewer may need. These links will show as part of the description of the presentation in the player.
- Categories – Categories are set at the system level. Select the appropriate one. If you need a category created let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Modules – Categories are set at the system level. Select the appropriate one. If you need a category created let us know at email@example.com.
The Player tab allows for the use of customized players.
- Player – It is recommended to use the BPCC-branded player that has been created however you can select any players you may have access to in the list.
- Maximum Connections – You can set the maximum number of concurrent connections using this feature. NOTE: If you upload copyrighted content to Mediasite you must set the maximum connections to 1 in order to comply with copyright law. Failure to do so will result in account suspension and possible legal action.
- Use Q&A Forum – Checking the box allows viewers to ask questions while watching the presentation. The question will be emailed to you for an answer.
- Enable Presentation Sharing – Should only be used if your presentation can be viewed by anyone.
- Favor Smooth Streaming Playback When Available – Leave this box unchecked. Presentations recorded with Mediasite Desktop Recorder will not provide smooth stream capability.
- Polls – Not currently setup. If you need this feature please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The remainder of the settings on this tab can only be adjusted by an Administrator.
The Delivery tab has options that determine how the presentation can be accessed by the user.
- Audio Transcriptions – Provides an option for automated captioning of presentations. This feature will be fully functional soon.
- Podcast – Provides the option to download a mp3 audio file to the viewer for offline playback.
- Video Podcast (composite) – Provides the option to download a composited mp4 video file to the viewer for offline playback.
- Publish To Go – Provides the option to download a zip file to the viewer for full featured, offline Mediasite playback.
- Thumbnail – Upload a custom thumbnail image if desired.
The Actions tab shows you a list of any current actions scheduled for the presentation. To schedule a new action:
- Click Schedule new Action button.
- Choose the date to take the action.
- Relative to Upload Date – Executes the action based on the Years, Months, Weeks, and/or Days chosen.
- On Exact Date – Executes the action on the scheduled date.
- Choose what action to take from the Action Type drop-down menu.
- Change Visibility – Allows you to change the visibility using the New Visibility drop-down menu.
- Move to Recycle Bin – Moves the presentation to the Recycle Bin for deletion by the system.
- Click Save to commit the changes.
The Security tab is controlled at the system level although you can add additional individuals or groups to the presentation. For assistance please contact us at email@example.com.
From the Publish tab you have the ability to move presentations to any Shared Folders to which you have access or a Channel you have created.
- Choose the desired option.
- Select the folder or channel from the drop-down menu.
- Click Save to commit the change.
The Analytics tab is discussed in more detail on the Presentation Analytics in Mediasite tutorial.
Using the Mediasite Web Editor
The Mediasite Web Editor is very simple to use. To review the presentation use the Spacebar or play button to playback the sequence. Once you find the segment you would like to cut:
- Click and drag to select the segment you wish to edit.
- Click the Cut Time button. NOTE: If you make a mistake while editing you can use the Ctrl+Z keyboard shortcut or the Undo button on the menu.)
- Repeat as needed.
- Once you have made all the required edits, click Commit and choose from the following:
- Commit to Current – Commits all edits to the current presentation you are editing.
- Commit to New – Commits all edits to a new presentation. Choosing this option will prompt you for the title of the new presentation.
- Commit to Existing – Commits all edits to an existing presentation. Choosing this will prompt you to choose an existing presentation to overwrite.
Once you commit the changes you can click the Commit Jobs drop down on the right to monitor the progress. It is safe to navigate away from the web editor at this point. You will receive an email notification from the system if there are any issues.
Embedding a Mediasite Video Using the Canvas LTI
To embed a Mediasite presentation:
- Either create a new page or edit an existing page.
- If you are editing a page, place your cursor where you would like the embed to be placed.
- Click the More Tools chevron button in the toolbar.
- Choose Mediasite.
- The Mediasite embed dialog will appear with 2 options. Choose the desired option to embed:
- Presentation – Lists your presentations available for embed.
- Catalog – Lists any channels or catalogs you have available for embed.
- Locate the item you would like to embed in the list or use the provided search box.
- Click the Embed button.
- Choose the desired option:
- Abstract Only – Embeds a thumbnail of the video with the description and other details for the presentation.
- Abstract + Player – Embeds a thumbnail of the video with the details for the presentation and a player.
- NOTE: For Catalogs you will have the option to insert a link or a full page embed. It is recommended to use the embed option for catalogs.
- Customize the layout on the page as desired using the rich text editor.
- Click Save.
Presentation Analytics in Mediasite
From the presentation summary page:
- Click the Analytics tab.
- Choose Dashboard.
The Analytics Dashboard shows a graphical representation of the views and trends of the presentation. The Trends graph displays the areas of the presentation viewed the most. The views are represented by the color of the graph. The colors range from blue (very few views) to red (many views). The graph can be used to see what parts of the presentation are being viewed most.
To export to a CSV file:
- Click Download Report in the top-right corner.
- Choose Excel for the CSV file.
- The file download should begin.
- Open the file to view the data.
- There are multiple worksheets in this document. In Excel, you can see the sheets across the bottom of the screen.
It is important to use the Canvas LTI to embed presentations in Canvas in order to get accurate analytic data.
Mediasite Recording Software and Obtaining Webcams
Faculty and students report positive outcomes when faculty post videos of themselves in their courses. This is especially true with online and hybrid courses.
Ed Tech can get you set up with a webcam and access to Mediasite. Mediasite serves as mechanism to easily create videos and link them to your courses. Come over to Rusty and Gary’s office (D-212) to pick up a webcam. See the Mediasite informational page for more details.
In order to use Mediasite within your courses follow these steps. If you have any questions, please contact Rusty at 318-678-6234.
- Log into a course in Canvas. Go to Settings, Navigation. Drag My Mediasite up so that it can be visible to students (or you can click on the cogwheel and Enable it).
- Click Save.
- Click on the My Mediasite link in the Navigation Menu.
- You will see your name and your display name. You will need to confirm your email.
- Check your email for the verification link to Mediasite. When it arrives, click on the link to verify the email.
- Go back to your Canvas course and Click on the My Mediasite link.
- Download the Desktop recorder. This is the point in which Computer Services must install the software for you.
- Go back to your Canvas course, click on My Mediasite, click on Option #3 to Register the software.
- Launch the Desktop Recorder from your computer (there is likely a shortcut on your computer’s desktop).
- Follow the instructions for the type of video you would like to create.
Last few tips:
- Time for your video to be processed via Mediasite may take a few minutes to a few hours. It depends on how many videos are being processed prior to your upload. You will receive an email from Mediasite when it is ready.
- From the My Mediasite area on Canvas, you will need to take a look through your video and at the very least name your video and make it Viewable.
- When you are ready to place your video in your course, create a New Content Page.
- Click on More External Sites
- Then click on Mediasite.
- Click on Presentation, locate your video. You can type the name of your video in the Search box. When you have located your video, click on the blue Embed button. Choose if you want only the video or the video plus a short description.
NOTE: If your computer does not support the resources requirements of the Mediasite Desktop Recorder software, Educational Technology has a lecture studio available to faculty upon request. For reservation information please contact the Division at 318-678-6023.