Clinical Application Packet
Clinical/Program Application Instructions
NOTICE: It is the responsibility of the applicant to carefully read all of the information on this page to ensure that program requirements and deadlines are met to satisfy eligibility.
- Deadline for submission of online OTA Program Application is April 15.
- Deadline for submission of Clinical Observation Rating forms from OT practitioners is May 1.
BPCC College Admissions
- Complete all BPCC College Admissions Forms if you are not a current BPCC student.
- Transfer students must complete requests for official transcripts to be sent to the BPCC Admissions Office from all previously attended institutions. This process should begin as soon as possible to allow time for processing.
Application Eligibility Requirements
- Completed a minimum of 30 college hours of OTA qualification (pre-requisite) coursework by the end of the spring semester of application year.
- A minimum of a 2.75 pre-requisite GPA and a “C” or better in each qualification course.
- Verified that all official and final transcripts from other institutions have been received by the BPCC Admissions Office and that applicable transfer courses are accessible in LOLA and visible on your BPCC transcript.
- Verified that you have a minimum of a 2.0 cumulative GPA on all attempted college coursework.
- Preregistered for all remaining OTA qualification courses with potential to finish in the spring semester, if applicable.
- Note that applicants may submit an application before completing all qualification (pre-requisite) courses if above criteria is met.
Applicants who are selected for an interview will be required to bring a Clinical Observation Experience Narrative Summary. The summary should be typed and double spaced with 12” font, and should include:
- Overview of types of diagnoses observed
- Overview of treatments observed
- Discussion of most interesting and least interesting components of experiences
- Discussion of your goals and reasons for pursuing occupational therapy assistant as a career choice
To Submit your OTA Program Application:
- Contact Ms. Brandon or Ms. Allison by email requesting a review of your transcript and eligibility requirements. You will be informed if there are additional requirements that must be completed prior to submitting the application form.
- The OTA Program has established Essential Requirements, identifying occupational-specific technical standards required of students in the program. Please read this document prior to completing the program application. If you have questions or concerns related to your ability to meet these described requirements, please contact your academic advisor.
- The BPCC OTA Application link will only be accessible from December 15th through April 15th. Click on the link below to complete and submit your application.
- In addition to the OTA Program Application, the following documents are required for your application packet to be complete.
Clinical Observation Rating Form (minimum of two)
- You are required to complete a total of 20 observation hours in a minimum of two different settings with two different licensed occupational therapy practitioners (licensed occupational therapists or licensed occupational therapy assistants). This process is not directed by the BPCC OTA faculty. Applicants are required to locate, contact, and schedule these experiences.
- Plan ahead and start early – It is recommended to begin scheduling observation experiences in the fall semester. Completed Clinical Observation forms are due by May 1st of application year.
- Applicants who are selected for an interview will submit a written summary of observation experiences.
- Observation Rating forms will be kept on file by the OTA Program Director for two years and will be valid for two consecutive OTA application cycles.
- Please inquire about the dress at each facility prior to arrival.
- Observation forms completed by an OT practitioner who is a family member of the applicant will not be accepted.
- Print one Clinical Observation Rating Form for each OT/OTA you observed (2 forms minimum) prior to observation experience. The forms can be mailed to the address below or emailed to email@example.com.
- If the form is to be mailed, you are required to provide an ADDRESSED and STAMPED envelope. The OT/OTA should be asked to complete the form (including contact information), seal it in the provided envelope, sign across the seal and mail directly to the college at the address below.
Bossier Parish Community College
Division of Science, Nursing, and Allied Health
Attn: OTA Program Selection Committee
6220 E. Texas St.
Bossier City, LA 71111
It is the responsibility of the applicant to follow up with the OT or OTA completing the observation forms to assure the forms are mailed with a postmark date of no later than the May 1st deadline.