PTA Program Application Instructions
NOTICE: It is the responsibility of the applicant to carefully read all of the information on this page to ensure that program requirements and deadlines are met to satisfy eligibility.
NOTICE: Please be advised that all qualifying Human Anatomy and Physiology lecture and lab courses (8 hours total) must be completed no more than five years prior to the application deadline.
- Complete all BPCC Admissions Forms
- Transfer students must complete requests for official transcripts to be sent to the BPCC Admissions Office from all previously attended institutions
PTA Application Eligibility Requirements
You are ready to begin your application when you have:
- Completed no less than 12 college hours of PTA qualification coursework (half in Natural Sciences) or show satisfactory mid-semester progress with at least a 2.5 GPA and a “C” or better in each qualification course.
- Verified that all official and final transcripts from other institutions have been received by the BPCC Admissions Office and that applicable transfer courses are accessible in LOLA and visible on your BPCC transcript.
- Verified that you have a minimum of a 2.50 cumulative GPA on all attempted college coursework.
- Verified that your Human Anatomy and Physiology lecture and lab courses (8 hours total) were completed within 5 years of the application deadline.
- Registered online to complete the ACT WorkKeys assessments at the BPCC Testing Center prior to April 15. (see detailed description below.)
- Preregistered for all remaining PTA qualification courses with potential to finish in the spring semester.
Register online for ACT WorkKeys
DO THIS: beginning in the fall semester but no later than April 15
- PTA Application process requires two ACT WorkKeys – PTA assessments: ACT WorkKeys Graphic Literacy (formerly called Locating Information) and ACT WorkKeys Workplace Documents (formerly called Reading for Information) If you took them previously under the old name, those scores will continue to be accepted.
- Once complete, ACT WorkKeys scores remain eligible for submission in the current or future application cycles. Should an applicant choose to retest, there is a limit of two attempts per assessment per application cycle.
- Register online for the ACT WorkKeys assessments by following this link to BPCC’s Testing Center’s online registration.
- Under the header Schedule an Exam select BPCC’s Testing Center as your testing location. The Testing Center is located in Building D Room 203.
- Choose a Group – PTA applicants need to select ACT WorkKeys – BPCC Physical Therapist Assistant. When you select this group you will be taken to information that should be read before you proceed with scheduling your appointments.
- Once you read the disclosure, you will be prompted to Choose an Exam, Choose a Date, and Choose a Time for your appointment. Complete the registration process on this page by supplying all required information. As you near completion, you will see a section called Acknowledgements for ACT WorkKeys – Physical Therapist Assistant Program. Read this information carefully and indicate with the check-box that you agree to follow the testing guidelines.
- The cost for each assessment is $18.50. You can schedule one assessment at a time, or you can schedule both assessments on the same day. Each assessment will require a separate registration, but can be paid for together when you check out.
- BPCC testing center appointments are available on Tuesdays, Thursdays, some Fridays and some Saturdays.
- You should print a copy of your registration and bring it to your testing appointment along with one valid government–issued ID.
- After you complete the exams, the Testing Center will give you a copy of your score reports. Please keep your copies. You are required to submit a copy of your scores for both ACT WorkKeys assessments along with the Program application.
- If you would like more information about ACT WorkKeys or to schedule practice tests, please visit the ACT WorkKeys web page. If you have questions or need assistance, please contact BPCC’s Testing Center at email@example.com or 318-678-6002.
To Submit your PTA Program Application:
- Contact Ms. Bryant or Ms. Cox by email requesting a review of your transcript and eligibility requirements. You will be informed if there are additional requirements that must be completed prior to submitting the application form.
- Print and retain a copy of the PTA Essential Requirements Form for your records. You will be asked on the Program Application Form to state that you have “read and acknowledge understanding of the Essential Requirements for the BPCC PTA Program."
- For more information about PTA Selection can be found in the Frequently Asked Questions section
- Submit a scanned copy of your WorkKeys Score Reports to Ms. Bryant or Ms. Cox by email.
- The Application Form will only be accessible between October 15 and April 15 of each application cycle. Click on the link below to complete and submit your application.
You are required to complete a minimum of 40 hours observation, volunteer or work experience in two different physical therapy settings (20 hours each) under the supervision of two different licensed PT/PTAs. Work/Volunteer Experience must take place within the current year.
- You must first complete and submit your application in order to receive the forms from your PTA advisor to complete this requirement. If you work in a PT clinic, or have completed an internship in a PT clinic, those work hours may be eligible.
- Plan ahead and start early – These observation experiences should be scheduled to take place beginning in the fall semester and should be completed no later than April of the spring semester of the year in which you plan to apply.
- After each observation is complete, leave a copy of the Clinical Observation Rating Form that you obtained from your advisor for each PT/PTA you observed along with an ADDRESSED and STAMPED envelope.
- You should address the envelope to: BPCC PTA Clinical Selection Committee. 6220 E. Texas St., Bossier City, LA 71111, RE: Applicant Name Here
- The PT/PTA should be asked to complete the form (including contact information on the form for verification of scores), seal it in the provided envelope, sign across the seal and mail directly to the college at the address above.
- Clinical Observation forms may be completed and submitted by email per instructions located on the form.
- Rating forms that reflect fewer than the minimum 20 hours with each PT/PTA will not be accepted.
- Observation forms completed by a clinician who is a family member of the applicant will not be accepted.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to follow up with the PT or PTA completing the forms so that they are mailed with a postmark date of no later than the May 1 Deadline.