Summer Semester 2020 Graduation
Due to COVID-19 mandates, we will not be able to hold our graduation ceremony on-campus as we had originally scheduled. Student safety and well-being is, and has always been, of the utmost importance to us. Administrators, faculty, and staff understand that graduation is a momentous occasion not only for students, but also for family and friends; therefore, we have planned something that we hope will allow you to celebrate with family and friends from home!
We have several things that we would like to gift to you to commemorate your graduation. On Thursday, July 30, 2020, we will distribute the following to our spring and summer 2020 graduates:
- A BPCC Diploma Cover for your diploma!
- A BPCC Face Mask to wear and keep you healthy and safe!
- A Cool Yard Sign to display and let everyone know you are a graduate!
These celebration items will be available for you to pick up in front of the College’s Health and Physical Education Complex (the gymnasium) from 9:00 a.m.- 2:00 p.m. on Thursday, July 30, 2020, our originally scheduled summer ceremony date. We will wear masks and handle your items with gloves, as we want to do this as safely as possible and practice social distancing and other COVID-19 mandates established for sanitization and individuals’ safety. You will not need to get out of your car. We will bring them out to you. After you’ve picked them up, we will make a note of it, and your diploma will be mailed to you two weeks after July 30, 2020. We will not distribute diplomas on that day.
To request that your diploma or certificate be mailed, please contact the Academic Planning Office at Graduation@bpcc.edu. In the email, please provide your Full Name, LoLA ID, Program of Study, and Mailing Address.
BPCC will still award summer 2020 graduate credentials, which include certificates, technical diplomas, and degrees, on July 30, 2020. Documentation of an earned credential is reflected on your College transcript, which is the official certification that students have been awarded the credential from the institution. Students may obtain an unofficial transcript through their BPCC LoLA account.
We look forward to the time when we will be able to celebrate together on campus. While we hope that a commencement ceremony will be possible in the near future, with uncertainty as to when restrictions will be lifted, we thought this could be a way for us to show you how proud we are of you and for you to be able to celebrate at home safely with your family and friends.
Graduation Policies and Procedures
All candidates for graduation must complete the following to become an official candidate for graduation from BPCC:
- Schedule classes required for graduation with an academic advisor prior to registration. Complete the Application for Graduation with the academic advisor dean of the appropriate division when registering for required classes. This must be completed by Thursday, June 4, 2020 . Students who previously applied for graduation but who did not graduate must file another application the semester they plan to complete requirements. Once candidates for graduation have registered, they may not change their schedules without seeing their academic advisor.
- Students who plan to participate in the graduation ceremony will be responsible for purchasing their caps and gowns from the BPCC Bookstore. All information for purchasing caps and gowns and ordering graduation announcements is found on the BPCC website in the Bookstore section.
- Any student who submits the Application for Graduation to the dean of the appropriate division is considered a candidate for graduation after the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs or Academic Planning Director has verified the student’s degree requirements.
- Complete procedural and curricular requirements. Graduating students must make a “C” or higher in all courses which satisfy graduation requirements.
NOTE: An application for graduation must be verified by appropriate college personnel prior to the student’s designation as an official candidate for graduation.
A candidate for graduation will not receive a degree until the above conditions are satisfied.
Graduating students will take their Session A and C finals July 22-23 2020. Students with more than two finals in one day may request that an instructor allow them to take the final at another time. Students (including candidates for graduation) are not exempt from final examinations. All grades are due to the Registrar no later than noon on Friday, July 24, 2020.
BPCC conducts three graduation ceremonies each year – in July, December, and May. Information on BPCC transcripts is the official certification that students have been awarded academic certificates and degrees from the institution (not diplomas or certificates).
If you have any questions about your graduation status, you may contact the Office of Academic Planning at 318-678-6244 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the BPCC Bookstore, caps and gowns for graduation are available, and announcements may be ordered.