The Spring 2020 Commencement ceremony is postponed due to COVID-19 mandates. Student safety and well-being is, and has always been, of the utmost importance. Administrators, faculty, and staff understand that graduation is a momentous occasion not only for students, but also for family and friends. In honor of you, our graduates, our BPCC family and our Chancellor, Dr. Rick Bateman, Jr., will have a special message for you that will be on social media this Friday, May 8, the originally scheduled date of our ceremony. We are so proud of you!
BPCC will award credentials, which include certificates, technical diplomas, and degrees, on May 8, 2020. Documentation of an earned credential is reflected on the College’s transcript, which is the official certification that students have been awarded the credential from the institution. Students may obtain an unofficial transcript through their BPCC LoLA account.
Due to production delays as a result of COVID-19, diplomas are expected to arrive in a few weeks. Students who wish to receive their diplomas may do so in one of several ways:
- The diploma can be mailed to students. If students would like to have their diplomas mailed, please contact the Academic Planning Office at Graduation@bpcc.edu. In the email, students should provide their Full Name, LoLA ID, Program of Study, and Mailing Address. If students have already emailed the Director of Academic Planning, Cieltia Adams, requesting to have their diplomas mailed, there is no need to re-send this information.
- Students may pick up their diplomas once everyone is allowed to return to campus; that date is unknown at this time.
- Students may participate in a graduation ceremony held later this year. The ceremony may be this summer, or it may be this fall. Again, that date is unknown at this time.
Please know the College is exploring the possibility of having a special diploma pickup event once the diplomas arrive, but will practice social distancing and other COVID-19 mandates established for sanitization and individuals’ safety. That information will be forthcoming and may provide yet a fourth option for students to receive their diplomas. Also, if students do have their diplomas mailed or if they pick them up, the College will not have a diploma for them for a later graduation ceremony. However, they may still fully participate in a future ceremony they attend.
Graduation Policies and Procedures
All candidates for graduation must complete the following to become an official candidate for graduation from BPCC:
- Schedule classes required for graduation with an academic advisor prior to registration. Complete the Application for Graduation with the academic advisor or the dean of the appropriate division when registering for required classes.
- This must be completed by January 17, 2020. Students who previously applied for graduation but who did not graduate must file another application the semester they plan to complete requirements. Once candidates for graduation have registered, they may not change their schedules without seeing their academic advisor.
- Students who plan to participate in the graduation ceremony will be responsible for purchasing their caps and gowns from the BPCC Bookstore. All information for purchasing caps and gowns and ordering graduation announcements is found on the BPCC website in the Bookstore section.
- Any student who submits the Application for Graduation to the dean of the appropriate division is considered a candidate for graduation after the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs or the Academic Planning Director has verified the student’s degree requirements.
- Complete procedural and curricular requirements. Graduating students must make a “C” or higher in all courses which satisfy graduation requirements.
NOTE: An application for graduation must be verified by appropriate college personnel prior to the student’s designation as an official candidate for graduation.
A candidate for graduation will not receive a degree until the above conditions are satisfied.
Graduating students will take their finals April 27 – April 30, 2020. Students with more than two finals in one day may request that an instructor allow them to take the final at another time. Students (including candidates for graduation) are not exempt from final examinations. All grades are due to the Registrar no later than noon on May 1, 2020.
BPCC conducts three graduation ceremonies each year – in July, December, and May. Information on BPCC transcripts is the official certification that students have been awarded academic certificates and degrees from the institution (not diplomas or certificates).
If you have any questions about your graduation status, you may contact the Director of Academic Planning at 318-678-6244, the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs at 318-678-6348, or stop by A-217 between 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday-Friday.
In the BPCC Bookstore, caps and gowns for graduation are available, and announcements may be ordered.