We were not able to celebrate with a traditional on-campus ceremony in May, nor will we be able to hold an on-campus ceremony this summer as we had hoped. Current guidelines and conditions resulting from COVID-19 make a large gathering difficult to hold safely. However, we have planned something that we hope will continue your celebrations from the spring!
We have several things that we would like to gift to you to commemorate your graduation. On Thursday, July 30, 2020, we will distribute the following to our spring and summer 2020 graduates:
- A BPCC Diploma Cover for your diploma!
- A BPCC Face Mask to wear and keep you healthy and safe!
- A Cool Yard Sign to display and let everyone know you are a graduate!
We will have these celebration items available for you to pick up in front of the College’s Health and Physical Education Complex (the gymnasium) from 9:00 a.m.- 2:00 p.m. on Thursday, July 30, 2020, our originally scheduled summer ceremony date. We will wear masks and handle your items with gloves, as we want to do this as safely as possible and practice social distancing and other COVID-19 mandates established for sanitization and individuals’ safety. You will not need to get out of your car. We will bring them out to you. We will not distribute diplomas on that day.
If you have not done so already and you want us to mail your diploma or certificate, please contact the Academic Planning Office at Graduation@bpcc.edu to request that your diploma be mailed. In the email, please provide your Full Name, LoLA ID, Program of Study, and Mailing Address.
We look forward to the time when we will be able to celebrate together on campus, as we know what a momentous occasion this is for you, your family, and your friends. While we hope that a commencement ceremony will be possible in the near future, with uncertainty as to when restrictions will be lifted, we thought this could be a way for us to show you how proud we are of you and for you to be able to celebrate at home safely with your family and friends.
Graduation Policies and Procedures
All candidates for graduation must complete the following to become an official candidate for graduation from BPCC:
- Schedule classes required for graduation with an academic advisor prior to registration. Complete the Application for Graduation with the academic advisor or the dean of the appropriate division when registering for required classes.
- This must be completed by January 17, 2020. Students who previously applied for graduation but who did not graduate must file another application the semester they plan to complete requirements. Once candidates for graduation have registered, they may not change their schedules without seeing their academic advisor.
- Students who plan to participate in the graduation ceremony will be responsible for purchasing their caps and gowns from the BPCC Bookstore. All information for purchasing caps and gowns and ordering graduation announcements is found on the BPCC website in the Bookstore section.
- Any student who submits the Application for Graduation to the dean of the appropriate division is considered a candidate for graduation after the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs or the Academic Planning Director has verified the student’s degree requirements.
- Complete procedural and curricular requirements. Graduating students must make a “C” or higher in all courses which satisfy graduation requirements.
NOTE: An application for graduation must be verified by appropriate college personnel prior to the student’s designation as an official candidate for graduation.
A candidate for graduation will not receive a degree until the above conditions are satisfied.
Graduating students will take their finals April 27 – April 30, 2020. Students with more than two finals in one day may request that an instructor allow them to take the final at another time. Students (including candidates for graduation) are not exempt from final examinations. All grades are due to the Registrar no later than noon on May 1, 2020.
BPCC conducts three graduation ceremonies each year – in July, December, and May. Information on BPCC transcripts is the official certification that students have been awarded academic certificates and degrees from the institution (not diplomas or certificates).
If you have any questions about your graduation status, you may contact the Director of Academic Planning at 318-678-6244, the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs at 318-678-6348, or stop by A-217 between 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Monday-Friday.
In the BPCC Bookstore, caps and gowns for graduation are available, and announcements may be ordered.