Communication Media, an area of the Division of Communication and Performing Arts, is located in Building D. Communication Media provides hands-on education for students in broadcasting, business of music, computer animation, multimedia studies, film, fine art photography, graphic design, media for ministry, photography, radio, and television production. It also provides live and taped television programming for its own cable channel KCAV-TV, a Public, Education, and Government (PEG) channel on Suddenlink, on the local cable system.
Statement of Purpose
As part of its agreement with the city of Bossier City, SuddenLink Communications of Bossier City has agreed to set aside cable channel twelve (12) as the Public, Education, and Government (PEG) access channel. With mutual consent of SuddenLink Communications of Bossier City and Bossier Parish Community College, Communication Media conducts the day-to-day operation of the PEG channel.
In order to serve the needs of the viewing public, the following guidelines and criteria have been established:
- All programming must fall into one of the three categories as addressed in the city charter (public, education, or government in nature).
- Programming will meet guidelines in decency and decorum.
- Only noncommercial, not-for-profit programs will be cablecast.
- Communication Media reserves the right to refuse any programming that may be controversial or inflammatory in nature or does not meet the criteria as stated above.
- SuddenLink Communications of Bossier City is ultimately responsible to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) for the content of the channel.
- Mass Communication
- Sound and Music Recording
- Graphic Design / Computer Animation
Within the AAS in Communication Media, the Communication Media Program maintains a 2 + 2 articulation agreement with Northwestern State University (NSU) allowing students who earn an Associate of Applied Science in Communication Media at BPCC (Mass Communication concentration) to transfer all credit hours designated by the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between BPCC and NSU toward completion of the Bachelors of Arts in Communication with a concentration in Broadcast and Digital Production. Interested students should see the Dean or a Communication Media Advisor for more information about this 2+2 agreement.