Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) – Medical Assistant Programs

“Is the BPCC MA Program Accredited? Why is that important?”

Bossier Parish Community College is proud to have an excellent, fully accredited MA Program. The MA Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education ProgramsWill open new browser window or tabupon the recommendation of the Medical Assisting Education Review Board. Program accreditation is a requirement for graduates to be eligible to sit for the Certified Medical Assistant (AAMA) Certification/Recertification Examination. We encourage you to research the criteria for accreditation and view the most current list of accredited programs www.caahep.orgWill open new browser window or tab and open new browser window or tab

“Are MAs required to sit for a licensure/certification examination? How do your graduates do on the national MA licensure examination?”

A graduation requirement is to take the Certified Medical Assistant (AAMA) Certification/Recertification Examination. The exam is not a requirement to work as a MA in Louisiana. However, the certification is a professional edge which may provide job security, career advancement and is seen as prestigious among peers and employers. Most physicians in the area seek certified medical assistants.

“I live outside the Shreveport-Bossier City area. May I still apply to your Program?”

Absolutely. While the majority of our applicants and clinical students live and plan to work in this area, we encourage students from other regions of the state. If you are from out of town and are interested in pursuing a MA degree from BPCC you are encouraged to contact a MA advisor for additional information and to request a personalized transcript review.

“Do your graduates have any trouble finding employment after graduation? What kind of salaries are they making?”

Our program has a high reputation in the community and our graduates have a high rate of employment. The job market and salaries in the Shreveport-Bossier City area are very good. The median salary for graduates is $26,470 per year.

More information on the job descriptions, job outlook and salaries for MAs can be found on the website for the American Association of Medical AssistantsWill open new browser window or tab and the Bureau of Labor StatisticsWill open new browser window or tabwebsite.

“I already have a degree (Associate/Bachelor’s/Master’s). Am I ready for application to MA clinicals?”

While it is likely that within your degree you have taken some or even most of the pre-requisite course requirements, there is a strong possibility that you may be lacking one or more of the required classes. You should request that a MA advisor review your transcript and help you identify what may be missing. Additionally, if a significant amount of time has passed since the completion of your degree, your advisor may recommend re-taking or auditing particular courses so that your knowledge in that content is current.

“How much does the MA Program cost?”

The Qualification and Additional Required courses of the program have only those costs associated with regular tuition per credit hour which is the same for all BPCC students. Once accepted into the clinical component of the program there are additional costs related to clinical fees, uniforms, immunizations, etc.

“I want to pursue this degree. What do I need to do first?”

  1. Contact a MA advisor to answer any questions related to the Program and request a transcript review. While you are welcome to call, the most efficient way to correspond and receive responses is by email at
  2. Contact the admissions office on the main campus of Bossier Parish Community College (678-6000) to request an application for admission to the college. There is a $15.00 application fee that must be paid at the time of submission. They will give you a catalog that includes information about the MA program. Be sure to mark “MA” on the application as your field of study so you will be assigned a MA advisor.
  3. Request information on financial aid by visiting the Financial Aid Office on the main campus, or by calling 678-6000. Be aware that if you do not qualify for financial aid, you may still request a deferment of fees, which allows you to pay tuition in three parts rather than all at once.