RE: CARES Act Emergency Financial Aid Grants for Students
As a result of the Coronavirus or COVID-19 pandemic, the United States Congress approved the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (“CARES Act”). The CARES Act was signed into law by President Trump on March 27, 2020. In efforts to stimulate the economy and to assist college students during this time, emergency financial aid grants have been allocated for students who meet strict eligibility guidelines as established by the United States Department of Education (USDOE).
Eligibility criteria are as follows:
- students with active enrollment in a Title IV eligible program between March 1-31, 2020,
- students who filed a FAFSA no later than March 13, 2020, and
- students who were eligible to receive Title IV funds within the spring 2020 semester.
Students in the following categories are NOT eligible to receive the emergency funds:
- students who are incarcerated,
- students who are in high school and dually-enrolled at BPCC,
- students who are cross-enrolled and whose “home institution” is a non-LCTCS college, and
- students who are enrolled only in online courses.
Students who meet the eligibility requirements and were enrolled in two (2) or more LCTCS colleges during March 2020, the college with the most academic history (i.e., the college where you have earned the most credits) will award the funds. Students who fall into this category will receive one (1) payment.
Rest assured, we are working as quickly as possible to determine which students will receive funds based on the eligibility requirements as established by the USDOE. Currently, there is nothing for students to do. If a student is eligible to receive funds, we will communicate directly with the student through email. For students who do not receive a follow-up email, it means they did not meet the USDOE’s eligibility requirements.
Students are encouraged to check their email daily for further communications regarding their eligibility for the CARES Act emergency financial aid grant. Students should also review the CARES Act FAQs on the BPCC Coronavirus page. Other questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.