What We Can Do for You
The BPCC Writing Lab has been developed to help our students be more successful in their coursework and as they leave our campus to enter the workforce or transfer to a four-year institution. Our mission is to provide opportunities for students to improve their written communication skills by meeting with skilled professionals, our English faculty, who will offer their expertise and feedback for students to consider when reviewing their writing assignments. We offer a quiet learning environment for one-on-one assistance, and we have computers in the lab for students to be able to revise their writing assignments for immediate feedback.
Students can schedule their own appointment with a faculty tutor by viewing the Writing Lab’s calendar in Canvas. Click below to access the Virtual Writing Lab.
Hours & Location
|Mon||8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.||4:30 – 6:00 p.m.|
|Tue||8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.||4:30 – 6:00 p.m.|
|Wed||8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.||4:30 – 6:00 p.m.|
|Thu||8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.||4:30 – 6:00 p.m.|
|Fri||8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.|
Make an Appointment
Services are by appointment only, but setting your own appointment is easy!
- We use the Scheduler feature in Canvas, so the first thing you will need to do is add the Writing Lab to your list of Canvas courses. You can do this by clicking the “Access Virtual Writing Lab” button below. (You may be prompted to log into Canvas.)
- Next, in Canvas, click on “Calendar,” then click “Scheduler” in the upper right-hand corner.
- The Scheduler has an appointment group called “Tutor Availability.” When you click this, you will see a list of available dates and times.
- Click the time that works best for you and click “Reserve.” You can also leave a comment for the tutor about the assignment with which you need help.
If you need any help with the appointment process, just stop by the lab in G-219 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We ask that you make your appointment at least 24-48 hours in advance so that we can make sure a faculty member will be able to assist you. When you arrive at your appointment, be sure you have any instructions for the assignment (so that we know what you are supposed to be doing!), and a hard copy of your work that you do not mind writing on. The Writing Lab is not a proofreading service; we are here to help you improve your own writing. The ultimate responsibility for your grade lies with you!
- Instructors are here to help students, but they will not revise nor edit essays for students. Students will receive feedback based on the top three concerns they have checked on their appointment agreement. Students are responsible for including or not including any comments or suggestions the instructor makes. Before their appointment, students must sign the appointment agreement indicating that they understand and acknowledge that, in the end, they are responsible for revising and editing their essay.
- No food or drink is allowed in the lab.
- Cell phones must be placed on silent.
- Students must present a photo ID at the time of their appointment.
- If a student is more than ten minutes late, he/she may have to reschedule.
Need help? Have questions?
Keep in mind that we are here to help you with ANY writing assignment, whether it is for an English class, a business class, a psychology class, or any class in which you are writing a paper or report.
Feel free to call us at 318-678-6041 or email us at email@example.com.