Public Records Requests
The Louisiana Public Records Act allows citizens to access certain records that are used during the operation of governmental agencies in the state. La. R.S. 44:1 – 44:41 defines public records, cites exemptions, and describes how public records may be examined.
Obtaining a Public Record
There are two ways to submit a public records request to Bossier Parish Community College.
- Fill out the public records request form at the bottom of this page that, when completed, is automatically sent to the college’s custodian of records. The form collects the requestor’s name, contact information, a description of the public records being sought, and the date or time frame of those records.
- Requests may be made directly to BPCC’s Office of Human Resources in person, by phone, by mail, or email. However, a requestor is encouraged to make a request in writing to help BPCC determine what documents are responsive. The request should include the requestor’s name, contact information, a description of the public records being sought, and the date or time frame of those records.
Bossier Parish Community College
6220 East Texas Street
Bossier City, LA 71037
(318) 678- 6000
Human Resources acknowledges requests it receives. If there is a question about whether a document is a public record, it will, within three days – except Saturday, Sunday, and legal public holidays – provide in writing its reasons for denying access, based on the Public Records Act.
Exemptions to the Public Records Act
La. R.S. 44:1 – 44:41 cites numerous records that are not covered by the Public Records Act.
Exemptions include, for example:
- certain information about state personnel that is protected by the right of privacy guaranteed by Article I, Section 5 of the Louisiana Constitution,
- certain documents related to pending criminal investigations, and
- documents pertaining to security procedures.
Many records related to individual students are protected by state and federal privacy laws, including the Family Educational Rights and Privacy.